• Ngā tae i roto i te kete: Colours in the Kete
• Ngārara i roto i te kete: Bugs in the Kete
Now comes with free NZ sign language stickers!
Children and toddlers will love lifting the sturdy card flaps to discover what is in the ketes. These two brightly coloured bilingual books will encourage learning to count and recognise colours.
The benefits of lifting the flap books are endless, as we compete with devices for interaction. Children will learn to develop hand-eye coordination, cause and effect, fine motor skills and adding an extra layer of surprise.
As a nation we are all benefiting from having te reo in our everyday lives. The books have all the everyday items we have in the home. The benefits of introducing bilingual books in early childhood are well-known - it is an optimal time to learn a second language. With equal value placed on both languages, these titles heighten awareness of another culture and foster multiculturalism.
These books have been translated by Hingatu Pompey (Ngaati Wairere, Ngai Tamaoho and Ngaati Hauaa) and Eddie Neha (Ngaati Maniapoto) both native speakers of our precious indigenous language. They come to this project with the insight of education and their love of learning. Both are very well regarded in both Government and the Private Sectors.
• The flap book design presents an appealing format with bilingual text
• Translations undertaken in conjunction with native speakers and an early childhood educator
• Unique kiwi culture that children, parents and caregivers can relate to
• Encourages prediction, memory skills, and word - picture association
• Questions for parents and caregivers to enhance the learning of both languages
• Free set of NZ sign language stickers which can be added to the book. Sign illustrations reproduced with permission from the Online Dictionary of New Zealand Sign Language (www.nzsl.nz)